Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Saga of Bethany's Surgery



The picture above is a flashback all the way back to February 23rd. You may be wondering why I would post a photo from a few weeks ago, or why I haven't updated in days. Well, the answer is very simple. You see, Lola has been taken away from me. But don't worry, it's only for a week! Bethany had to have emergency surgery on Thursday evening. She is now with her family in New Hampshire where she will have lots of help with Lola until her incisions are properly healed.
So anyway, I've been fairly exhausted ever since and haven't had much time to sit down and update our blog.

So now that I have the chance I will tell you all what happened.

It was about 1:30 in the morning on Thursday and Bethany woke up in excruciating abdominal pain. I panicked a bit before I decided to call 911. They sent the paramedics over and the quickly took her to the Rhode Island Hospital. I got Lola ready and we followed and met Bethany in the ER. They did some blood work and took a pee-pee sample. We waited a total of four hours before the test results came back. According to the test there was nothing wrong with her and the incredibly young doctor told us she probably had a viral infection and we should go home.

We watched a bit of The Simple Life before we crawled back into bed. We were asleep for maybe two hours before Bethany woke up in pain once again. Back to the hospital we went, this time driving together. Bethany was given an ultra-sound and they found a number of gall stones. A few hours later it was decided that she needed to have her gall bladder removed. It was the culprit of all the pain after all.

They wheeled her to the OR and I waited with Lola for about eight hours. I met some very nice people in the waiting room who fawned all over her. We talked about our children and complained about how incompetent everyone was at the hospital (general OR waiting room discussions, I suppose). Lola was a very good girl during this time and only woke up once to eat. I ate in the cafeteria where I devoured a turkey sandwich and a bag of sour cream and onion chips.

Anyway, the surgeon, Dr. Biffle, finally came and got me and said that the operation went fine and Bethany would be moved to the recovery room in a half hour. This was a complete and utter fib because it wasn't until another 3 hours before I got to see her. So I waited and waited and waited with Lola who slept through everything. It wasn't until it was finally time to visit Bethany when Lola started screaming her head off. So I spent the whole visit tending to Lola's needs, trying to keep her quiet so I wouldn't disturb Bethany's roommate (who was luckily quite patient and friendly).

We all decided that since I work all the time, and we're pretty much all alone here, that the best thing would be for Bethany to stay with her family in New Hampshire until she's healed. This way they can help her out with Lola since she can't lift anything.

I'm now home all alone which is sad. Bill and Jessica came over and spent the night, which was fun. I treated them to pizza on Thayer Street. We also watched the movie Half Baked even though we're not stoners. It's a funny movie, okay people? Anyway, I'm going up to visit tomorrow night since I have Tuesday off. I miss them.

Bethany will be sending me Lola updates for the remainder of the week and I will kick them up a notch by loading them with jokes. So far I haven't received anything for today so I'm afraid I'm going to have to cause quite a stink! Just kidding, poor Bethany is on serious pain killers and may be too deep in La-La Land to be able to record the daily events of our precious little girl.

Get well soon, Bethany, and kiss the Sweetle for me!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished getting caught up on my Lola news- she seems like an amazing little girl. It's great getting an intimate look at the whole parenting experience, and it's definitely something I plan on doing at some point. I'm not thrilled about passing some of my negative traits onto another human being, but I love the idea of helping to bring some insanely hyper miniature Michaels into the world. Oh yes, they would be a handful.

Bethany, get well soon. You've been through so much already.

Love,
Steph

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me and Lola miss you very much Funky fart an hiemer!!

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better real soon B 2 the ethany! I was hoping to see you this break, but it is more important for you to rest up. Incase the blog doesnt get into to much detail, let me know how you are doing!
xoxo
hope to talk with/see you soon

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feel Better Bethany!

I feel so badly for you guys. I came in several times this weekend but when I saw no updates I thought that you were in CT meeting Great Nana Nina. That would have been a better scenario.

Sorry you are lonesome, John. :(...
But fear not..you will soon be "doodling" again. Bethany is young & will recover quickly. I'm old and I did well when I had the experience. I let Uncle Doug spoil me.

Bethany...Get better. Rest up & let your family enjoy our newest sweetheart.

Love,

Aunt Nora

2:38 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

update the blog.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

update

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is Lola doing? Where is our update that you promised?

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lola is fine, she is on vacation right now.

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh.. vacation, is she drinikin' tini's on the beach. how delightful.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you mean drinking titis on the beach! LOL Are you two going to update the blog soon? I miss reading!

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home